Thursday, June 10, 2010

31 Weeks, 4 Days

I know I'm not quite up to 32 weeks yet, but I thought I'd do some updating since my antenatal classes are on tuesdays and I want to remember what happened at them!

So, we had our first class on Tuesday night and it went really well. There are about 5 other couples in the group with us and this week was just basic and getting to know a little bit about eachother and our expectations of the class. It was great getting to meet other people not only due in August, but actually 3 other couples due the same week as me! All of them as well are first-time parents so we're really in the same boat.

It was good to meet others and I'm really looking forward to getting to know them better. This week was a little bit awkward since we don't know eachother yet, but I'm sure htat will fade away quickly! The class from what I remember (I wish I could remember all of it, but it was 2 hours and I forget easily!) talked a lot about our questions, worries, concerns, etc. and then we talked about the 3 stages of labor. We talked about the different options as far as where to have the babies - and I must say that I could not BELIEVE how many women - actually I think all of them - who had not been to visit the hospital or birthing center. I guess people just aren't worried or concerned, but visiting the birthing center/hospital helped me so much, just eased my worries. Anyways. We talked about the stages of labor and that was really good to know. I had just done some reading this past week about it, so hearing it and discussing it was helpful.

Next week, we are sending all the men off to the pub while we have a "girls only session." To be honest, I don't know what this means but I'm sure it will be good!

I also got my own personal midwife visit today! There is a lady in my church who is a former missionary/midwife who came by to just chat to me about anything to do with labor/babies/breastfeeding. It was absolutely wonderful to just have an informal conversation about different things that came to mind. She is so nice and is going to come by again after she gets back from vacation next week!

I was told that around this time, the weeks would start to fly by - but actually I feel like they've slowed down. It's probably because I am not taking any classes anymore (I have been studying online with Nazarene Bible College for the past year). I'm taking a break until the Spring and I suppose that gave me something to do in the evenings. Now I feel sort of useless! I'm not exactly sure what I will do with all my time when I go on maternity leave in less than a month! Either way, time has seemed to go ultra slow lately; I've been trying to read and learn as much as I can about labor and delivery and I'm sure that is just making me more excited about meeting my little boy. He has been kicking so much lately - although I've been told that soon he will be too big to kick since he is running out of space in there. I also discovered this week that he IS getting big - (or I am, anyways) - I finally weighed myself for the first time since about 14 weeks, and I have gained 27 pounds! This means that I am right on target for 35 pounds of weight gain. I was told that I would gain between 25-35, so although I'm still within reason I can definitely say that I am on the upper limit! Gah!


Today I had a wonderful chat with my sister in law, Julie, which was great. I really miss her and my brother (and the rest of my family), so I decided to call to say hello! We talked about babies which was fun...I only wish I could drop by so easily. I have a neice and nephew, 3 and 1, whom I have really only met a few times. They are wonderful little kids though and Julie is an incredible mom - I hope I am half as good as her! (I'm sure Joe is a pretty good dad too :) ).

Well I think that's all for now. I have a midwife appointment on Tuesday the 15th (I accidentally missed my appointment this week since I forgot to book it...oops.)

No comments:

Post a Comment