Sunday, January 2, 2011

What a month! 21 Weeks Old






Sometimes when I get beyond a certain point, I avoid updating my blog at all costs. This point is reached when there are just too many things to say that I could not possibly choose which things to talk about, and I don't have the ability to summarize.

I've gone beyond that point to where I am now just drawing a complete blank. It has been an entire month since I updated last and my little baby seems to have turned into a little boy. I realized this 1)when we returned home from visiting family over Christmas and 2) this morning when I met a 2 1/2 week old baby who weighed 7 pounds. This baby just slept while Reuben was laughing and holding toys and chewing his hands because of his teething. He is so big.

So, where to begin. Reuben is now into everything! He has gone from being a little grumpy to a little "wiggle bottom" as we call him. haha. He always wants to be "walking" (me holding him while he tries to walk), or holding things, putting toys in his mouth, and more. He can roll over, and he does now regularly - both from his back to his tummy and his tummy to his back. Over the last 2 days he has realized that he can control his legs - this means that when I am changing his diaper he likes to grab my arms with his legs. It's cute and hilarious but also makes everything difficult with him constantly attacking anything in his sight with his legs!! He is very ticklish and has the cutest laugh in the universe (well, I know I'm biased but it's true.) He has just gotten so much more curious, I absolutely love to just watch him discovering new things. This morning I sat him on our windowsill as we looked outside, and I put my hand on the glass in front of him to show him there was a window and he reached out to touch it too. It's so incredible to see his little mind making connections and learning new things every day. I absolutely love it.

Lately I have just realized how in love I am with this little boy. There was a time not very long ago when I let out a big (no, MASSIVE) sigh of relief when he would fall asleep. When I would hear him waking up, I would dread having to figure out why he was screaming, often without success. I was struggling with breastfeeding, and unsure how to "entertain" this seemingly unhappy boy.

Now, when he's asleep I miss him. I can't wait for him to wake up (don't get me wrong, I like the occasional breaks though). I love making him laugh and playing with his toys with him. We've started reading to him before bed and he likes to help turn the pages. Breastfeeding is going great and he is now trying new foods and eating a bit every day (usually fruit puree, will tell more in a minute!) He is just all around a fun, entertaining little man. I can literally feel my love for him growing so intensely and it's amazing.

So, as I was saying, food! At 17 weeks or so I tried giving him some banana and he liked it. So then I tried giving him baby cereal and a couple other purees over a few days but he didn't seem to care very much so when we went to Adam's parents over Christmas I packed some jars of baby food just in case but no real intention of giving him anything - he just wasn't really interested yet. But at one point I thought to give him some - and he LOVED it. So much so that whenever I give him anything now, he doesn't really know when to stop and I'm pretty sure he gives himself a tummy ache every time! haha. So far he likes bananas (whole ones, he likes to suck on them), also mashed up bananas. He likes fruits a lot and his favorite is by far Apple and Pear. Today he tried Apple, Strawberry and Blueberry and liked it a lot!! He's tried Chicken with rice and vegetables but doesn't seem to like it very much. He's okay with baby cereal but isn't crazy over it.

So much fun :)

In other news..for Christmas Adam and I got a really nice camera. So now I am addicted to taking photos of my beautiful boy.

I could go on for quite a while about all the things that have happened over the last month but I need to take advantage of this free time to do other things besides blog :)

Also, one week from today and he will be 5 months old...where does the time go?

No comments:

Post a Comment